/ Our eye doctor
Dr Leonard Ang
MBBS (S’pore), Doctorate Med, FRCS (Edinburgh),
MRCOphth (London), MMed (Ophthalmology),
Senior Consultant Ophthalmologist,
Lang Eye Centre
Associate Professor, Singapore National Eye Centre
Associate Professor, National University of Singapore
Fellow, Harvard Medical School, USA
Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Fellow, Kyoto Prefectural University, Japan
Dr Leonard Ang is the Medical Director and Senior Consultant Ophthalmologist at Lang Eye Centre with over 25 years of experience.
He is known for advancing the treatment of complex eye disorders. His wide range of specialisations in cataract surgery, cornea disease treatment, cornea transplantation, glaucoma treatment, retinal disease treatment, complex eye disease treatment, and refractive surgery (LASIK, Epi-LASIK, LASEK and Implantable Contact Lens) has made Lang Eye the acknowledged full service eye centre it is today.
Dr Ang was previously an Associate Professor at the Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC) and the Department of Ophthalmology at Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS), and was the Principal Investigator and Group Leader of the ocular surface stem cell and tissue engineering programmes at SNEC and the Singapore Eye Research Institute. He was formerly the Medical Director at The Eye & Cornea Transplant Centre and the Premium Lasik Surgery Clinic.
He attained his degrees in ophthalmology in Singapore, Edinburgh, and London. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS), the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOpth), and the Singapore Academy of Medicine (FAMS). He is among a small group of doctors in Singapore who has received a Doctorate of Medicine.
Having completed his specialist training in Singapore, he went on to complete advanced training fellowships in cornea and refractive surgery and trained with established cornea and refractive surgeons and stem cell experts at prestigious eye centres around the world, including the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in the USA, the Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine in Japan, and the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (MEEI), Harvard Medical School in the USA.
Dr Ang specialises in treating complex blinding eye diseases. He trained with Professor Shigeru Kinoshita, a world expert in cornea and stem cell transplantation. Dr Ang’s achievements include developing innovative methods for cornea and stem cell transplantation, cornea and ocular surface stem cell expansion and bioengineering of eye tissues for ocular surface transplantation and reconstruction. He introduced the use of bioengineered oral (mouth) stem cell transplantation for severe cornea disease in Singapore.
At MEEI, Harvard Medical School, Dr Ang trained with Professor Claes Dohlman, the inventor of the Boston keratoprosthesis artificial cornea transplantation. Upon returning to Singapore, Dr Ang performed the earliest series of Boston keratoprosthesis transplantations in Singapore and South East Asia, and has helped to restore the vision of many local and international patients with complex cornea diseases. He also performed the earliest series of Paediatric Boston keratoprosthesis transplantations in Singapore and South East Asia for blinding childhood cornea diseases.
Dr Ang trained with Professor Dimitri Azar at MEEI, Harvard Medical School, a world expert in cornea and refractive surgery. During his fellowships, he learnt the newly introduced techniques in refractive surgery, including LASIK and advanced surface ablation procedures like Epi-LASIK and LASEK. Dr Ang has also published widely on glaucoma and its treatment, with many of his articles being widely cited in international peer-reviewed journals.
Dr Ang was awarded the prestigious Singapore National Academy of Science Young Scientist Award in 2005, Singapore’s highest honour in Science and Technology. He has won 32 international and local scientific awards for his exemplary work in ophthalmology, including the NUS Young Scientist Award, NUS Research Excellence Award and the Singapore Clinician Investigator Award. He has written more than 90 articles in international journals and scientific publications, 7 book chapters and has presented at more than 130 medical conferences.
- Ophthalmology Medical Centre of the Year Asia Pacific (Winner) – Global Health Asia-Pacific Awards 2021
- Ophthalmology Medical Centre of the Year Asia Pacific (Winner) – Global Health Asia-Pacific Awards 2020
- Best Scientific Paper (Translational Research) – SingHealth-Duke NUS Scientific Congress 2012
- Best Paper Award – Alcon Research Prize (Senior Category) – National Healthcare Group 4th International Ophthalmology Congress, Nov 2011
- Singapore Clinician Investigator Award – Singapore Health and Biomedical Congress, Nov 2010
- Best Paper Award – Alcon Research Prize (Senior Category) – NHG 3rd International Ophthalmology Congress, Nov 2010
- NHG Doctor Award (Silver)- National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Congress, Nov 2009
- NHG Eye institute Best Paper Award / Alcon Research Prize- NHG Eye Institute 2nd International Ophthalmology Congress 2009
- Young Investigator Award (Gold award) – National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Congress, Nov 2008
- SGH 17th Annual Scientific Meeting – Best Oral Paper (Clinical): 1st prize, 25-26 April 2008
- Young Researcher Award, National University of Singapore 2006
- Best Oral presentation (Merit) – Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, Jun 2006
- EXSA Excellent Service Award: Star Customer Champion 2006
- Singapore National Academy of Science Young Scientist Award 2005
- Research Excellence Award, National University of Singapore 2005
- Young Investigator Award (Visual Science) – 2nd Association For Research In Vision And Ophthalmology, Singapore Eye Research Institute Meeting, Feb 2005
- National Excellence Service Award (Gold) 2005
- Best Oral presentation – Ethicon Surgical Book Prize, National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Congress, Singapore, 9-10 Oct 2004
- Best Poster Award – SNEC 15th International Meeting, 5-6 Sep 2004
- Young Investigator Award (Outstanding) – 22nd Singapore-Malaysia Joint Meeting in Ophthalmology / 5th Singapore National Eye Research Meeting, May 2004
- Best Poster Award – 5th Combined Annual Scientific Meeting / 4th GSS-FOM Scientific Meeting, May 2004
- Best Paper Award – American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting, San Diego, USA, Apr 2004
- National Excellence Service Award (Silver) 2004
- Young Investigator Award – 14th Singapore General Hospital Annual Scientific Meeting, Sep 2003
- Best Free Paper – 14th Singapore General Hospital Annual Scientific Meeting, Sep 2003
- Young Investigator Award (Visual Science) – First Association For Research In Vision And Ophthalmology, Singapore Eye Research Institute Meeting, Feb 2003
- The Eye Institute-Pharmacia Research Prize For Outstanding Original Paper 2002
- Young Investigator Award, Visual Science (Outstanding) – 20th Singapore-Malaysia Joint Meeting In Ophthalmology / 4th Singapore National Eye Research Meeting 2002
- The Association For Research In Vision And Ophthalmology Santen Pharmaceutical Travel Fellowship Award, Florida, USA, Apr 2002
- Young Investigator Award (Visual Science) – First Singapore Eye Research Institute International Meeting 2001
- Best Poster Award – 3rd Annual Combined Scientific Meeting (SSMB, BRETSS, SSBMB) 2001